Hello, beautiful people!
If you've been following the blog for a while, you might remember that for a short time I had an oat bar company called Hungry Bars! I absolutely loved every day that I made, packaged, and delivered those hearty treats to lovely people all over the city. It also allowed me to meet and form great relationships with some amazing folks at our local farmer's market where I sold the bulk of my bars. We sold out almost every weekend and I could not have been more grateful.
Well, trying to balance a full time job and a food business proved to be more than I could handle, so I decided to close shop last year. Since then, I have had countless requests for the recipe, so I am here to finally give it over so that you can still enjoy them! These are completely customizable and can also be made gluten-free by replacing the whole wheat flour with your favorite gluten-free flour. They also freeze great, so make a big batch, wrap them up, throw them in the freezer, and eat them at your own pace!
Happy Foodie Friday, sweet friends! I hope you have the BEST weekend and know how loved you are!
(makes 12 bars)
- 3 cups whole rolled (old-fashioned) oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups mix-ins of choice (nuts, dried fruit, coconut, chocolate chips, chia seeds, flax seeds...)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 melted organic coconut oil (canola or vegetable oil can be used, too)
- 1/2 organic honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, flour, sugar, salt, and mix-ins.
- Add eggs, oil, and honey. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil and grease with cooking spray or butter.
- Pour oat mix into pan and press down firmly until packed and even.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool completely, remove from pan, and cut into 12 bars.
*To make these into banana or pumpkin bars, add in 1 mashed banana or 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin with the eggs, oil, and honey.