This post is going to be a quick one because I have a 2 1/2 month old baby on my lap who hasn't pooped in 3 days and is having some major separation anxiety today. I also just happen to be wearing white jeans in the effort to wear them as much as possible before Labor Day (even though I'll still probably wear them afterwards).
White jeans + constipated baby that could blow at any moment = we gotta move quick
So I made this jam. Not because I am dissatisfied with the jams and jellies that are available at my local grocer, even though I usually find them a little too sweet, but I just felt like making my own the other day. After perusing the web for different recipes, I created this one that is pretty darn good.
It only contains 3 ingredients and is packed with omega-3 fatty acid rich chia seeds, which give it an insane texture too.
It also freezes well, if you're unlike me and don't devour the whole batch in 3 days. No shame.
Homemade Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- 1 lb strawberries (Fresh or frozen. I used organic, frozen strawberries and they worked great!)
- 3 Tbsp agave syrup (pure maple syrup or honey can also be used here)
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- In a medium skillet, cook the strawberries on medium heat until softened and mashable.
- Using a potato masher (or avocado masher), mash the strawberries until combined, but leave a few strawberry chunks for texture. (I hate the word chunks but I can't think of another word right now...).
- Add the syrup and chia seeds to the strawberries and whisk over medium-low heat until combined and thickened.
- Pour jam into a heat-safe bowl and let it cool to room temp.
- Store in a jam jar or airtight container, or freeze.