The other day, Brent came home from work and surprised me with these two little gems.
Fact: The only thing better than cupcakes is surprise cupcakes, and these did not disappoint.
They were from Gigi's Cupcakes here in The Woodlands.
I believe they were the Wedding Cake and Miss Princess flavors...so vanilla cake with vanilla frosting and strawberry cake cream cheese frosting.
Gigi's Cupcakes are SUPER moist...and the frosting....ohhhh the frosting.
When I was little, I would hide under my bed with a can of frosting and a spoon and go.to.town.
I would still do this if it wasn't socially frowned upon, so it goes without saying that I thoroughly enjoy Gigi's Cupcakes.
Yes, these cupcakes may come with a side of rapid heart beats and profuse sweating.
But before the cupcake demolition took place, Brent and I decided to make some Juicy BBQ Burgers & Fake Fries.
Fake Fries = Totally delicious roasted sweet potato and parsnip fries.
You should make these and forget about those silly old russets.
Parsnips are the new russets, just fyi.
Slice, sprinkle with minced garlic and sliced onion, toss in olive oil, season, and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
I also feel the need to share the copious amount of toppings and sides that Brent and I require on homemade burger nights.
We also like to throw in some freshies: tomatoes, onion, romaine, and fresh sprouts from my mother-in-law's garden!
Woot woot for healthy fake fries!
Also get excited for the juiciest bbq burg you've ever eaten.
My plate: One juicy burger topped with melty cheddar cheese, a little bit more bbq sauce, mustard, romaine, sprouts, tomatoes, and roasted onions.
Plus a few more parsnip fries dipped in ketchup.
Make this, stat.
And then reward yourself with Gigi's Cupcakes...and perhaps some cookies 'n cream ice cream.
Juicy BBQ Burgers
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground venison**
- 1 Tbsp coarse ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp barbeque sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp bbq sauce
- 4 slices thick-cut cheddar cheese
- 4 large hamburger buns, toasted
Other toppings: mustard, mayo, lettuce, sprouts, slices tomatoes, onions, pickles, jalapenos, bacon, etc.
- In a large bowl, combine above ingredients until mixed thoroughly.
- Form into 4 large patties.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill over medium high heat until inside is still slightly pink.
- While burgers are still warm, top with 1 Tbsp bbq sauce and cheddar cheese.
- Let cheese melt on hamburger while buns toast.
- Serve warm with toppings.
**Extra lean ground beef can be substituted for venison.
Sweet Potato & Parsnip Fake Fries
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 large parsnips, cut into wedges
- 1 small onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place parsnip and sweet potato wedges on baking sheet and sprinkle with onion slices and minces garlic.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve warm.