This past weekend, one of my co-workers decided to throw a pool party and BBQ at her house.
I immediately signed up to bring dessert, because...I mean, what else would I bring?? :)
Being my first pool party of the summer (and the fact that Texas has become AN OVEN ON BROIL this summer) it was no surprise that I found myself cannon-balling onto her pool after being there for about...mmmm... two and a half minutes.
I am also a 24 year old child, so cannonballs and that "dunking category" game are a must at all pool parties.
I also knew that I wanted to bring, not only the world's best cannonball technique, but also a dessert that involved Oreos and peanut butter.
Why such a specific combination?
Because while I was at work the day before, I had a good 30-minute conversation with another co-worker of mine about the greatness that is Oreos dipped in peanut butter.
Yep, that'll fuel your run, fo sho!
So, because of this mouth-watering convo, I officially had a craving.
And here is what I did.
I made my normal fudge brownies and then poured the brownie batter into a large sheet cake pan.
The I mixed together cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, and an egg, poured that on top of the brownie batter and swirled it around with a knife.
I then took two sleeves of OREOS, crushed them up into large chunks, and sprinkles those crazy chunks on top of the batter.
Now THAT is a brownie, friends.
Oreo Brownies with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirl
makes 36 brownies
For the brownie-
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweeetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
For the peanut butter cream cheese swirl-
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 12 oz crushed Oreos (2 rows worth of cookies in an 18 oz package)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a large sheet cake pan or rimmed cookie sheet (I use this one).
- For the brownies, mix together butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add in eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Gradually mix flour mixture into butter mixture until barely combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, and egg until creamy.
- Pour on top of brownie batter and swirl around with a butter knife (but try not to scratch the bottom of the pan!)
- Sprinkle crushed Oreos on top of the brownies and pat down to secure them in the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes (for super soft brownies), rotating the pan at 20 minutes so that the brownies bake evenly.
- Let brownies cool completely before cutting into squares.