These are fun to make, fun to eat, and oh so delicious! You'll definitely get your chocolate fix with these babies!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bags Wilton white chocolate candy melts
- 2 bags Wilton light cocoa candy melts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans.
- Use the first set of ingredients to make the cake.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add eggs, vanilla, milk, and oil and mix with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water by hand.
- Pour evenly into the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from pans.
- While cake is cooling, use the second set of ingredients to make the icing.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir in cocoa and powdered sugar alternately with the milk and vanilla. Beat until spreading consistency.
- When cake has cooled, place both cake layers in a mixing bowl and crumble with hands.
- Add icing in with cake and beat together until thoroughly mixed.
- Using two large spoons (or an ice cream scoop), form balls using about 2 Tbsps cake mixture.
- Do this until all of the cake mixture is formed into little balls and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Melt Wilton chocolate candy melts (one bag at a time) according to package directions.
- Take cake balls from freezer (a few at a time).
- Stick a toothpick into each cake ball, dip into melted chocolate and coat thoroughly.
- Place cake ball onto wax paper and promptly remove toothpick.
- Do this for all cake balls.
- They will dry and harden in about 5 minutes.
- Melt alternate color chocolate and drizzle over cake balls. (This makes them look fancy and hides any "toothpick removal" imperfections.)
- Store cake balls in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes 40 cake balls.